It’s been too long. Too long since my last post and far too long since I proclaimed my love for my favorite cruciferous vegetable. With that, I bring you more kale.
In times of stress, I often find myself browsing the aisles of my favorite groceries. There is something about the flow of customers, kids and produce that is distracting and soothing. The summer brings wonderful things to the grocery store–colorful berries, misshapen tomatoes and striped melons. All of these fruits are cause for celebration. Or, at the very least, a cause for some culinary creativity. This is the time of year when I eat blueberries by the pint-full (fruit has no serving size, as far as I’m concerned). However, in hopes of giving my berries a better home than my greedy hands, I slipped them in with my favorite leaves for a delicious summer salad.
Blueberry and Kale Salad
1 bunch lacinato kale, deveined and slivered
1/4 c. Brianna’s Blush Wine Vinaigrette
2 T. sunflower seeds
2 c. cooked quinoa
2 T chopped fresh basil
1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese
1 pint blueberries
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions (1 part quinoa: 2 parts liquid) and let cool.
2. Wash, devein and chop kale (I like to layer 3 deveined leaves on top of each other, roll them together long-ways and sliver them in horizontal slices)
3. Pour dressing over kale and massage briefly, just until the kale begins to wilt. I love this blush wine vinaigrette, which they sell at Whole Food though any red wine vinaigrette will work.
4. Stir in sunflower seeds, basil and quinoa.
5. Fold in blueberries and feta.